Thank you for visiting my website. This page is here for prospective clients who would like to know more about my background and experiences. Please visit my About the Law Firm page to read more on how I serve my clients today in my Richmond Virginia law practice.
Working with a professional through important, difficult, and often personal matters goes more smoothly when there is a sense of shared (or at least mutually understood) values. The best way to find out if you and I might work together on your legal matter is to contact my office and schedule an appointment.
I am from Richmond, Virginia – raised in Hanover County just north of Richmond. I attended Benedictine High School and then went to Dayton, Ohio for four years where I earned an Accounting degree from the University of Dayton. After college, I moved back to Virginia to work as a police officer for the Fairfax County Police Department. I worked for a short period as a budget analyst in Norfolk, Virginia for Alliance Health Systems, now Sentara®, before returning to Richmond to attend law school.
Just two weeks before starting law school I married Kendra Wright. We have three children. Michael spent five months in 2012 working for relatives in Germany and now lives and works with me in my law firm and in our title agency and settlement company, RVA Real Estate Settlements, LLC; our daughter Kelsey graduated from Virginia Tech (class of 2015) and then received her BSN (summa cum laude) from VCU.; Hannah is attending Virginia Tech (class of 2020) pursing a degree in human development.
The Lumpkins family has lived in Goochland, Virginia (west of Richmond – on the way to Charlottesville) since we moved 20 miles west from neighboring Henrico County in 2007. I have been active in the community and local politics. In 2011 I was elected to a four-year term to the Goochland County School Board. In 2015 I served as Chair, and in November 2015 I was re-elected to a second four-year term. In 2018 I was appointed to the Board of Supervisors, and have served on that local governing body since.
In 1988 I earned a Juris Doctor degree from University of Richmond School of Law. I passed the Virginia Bar Exam a few months after I graduated. While in law school I served as an Associate Editor of the Law Review and was elected to the McNeill Law Honor Society (top 10% of the class). I also received the AmJuR Book Award for the highest grade in the required first-year course, Constitutional Law. During law school I worked part-time on local government matters at the Virginia Attorney General’s office, and the summer after my second year I worked for the Internal Revenue Service primarily on a complex partnership audit.
After law school, I served a one-year federal court judicial clerkship in the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division for the now-retired U.S. Magistrate, David G. Lowe. That was a wonderful experience and I learned an incredible amount working in the federal court system. I will always be extremely grateful for the opportunity Judge Lowe gave me. After the federal court clerkship, I practiced with another attorney and as a solo for six years where I represented clients in matters ranging from felony criminal jury trials in state and federal courts, residential real estate closings, family law matters, wills and estate administration, and bankruptcy.
Other work experiences
- In 1996 I moved to Cary, North Carolina and joined Encompass, a software development company in the global logistics business. I worked as an Associate General Counsel involved in all of the legal issues surrounding software development and licensing, national trademark protection, employment law, and more. Encompass was a joint venture between American Airlines and CSX, and I was there until the partners ended the joint venture two years after I joined.
- Returning to Richmond, Virginia in the late 1990s, I joined an area law firm, Coates & Davenport, and ran their real estate department for two years. Prior to forming my current firm (which evolved from a multi-member PLLC formed in 2006), I worked as an attorney in the Technology and Intellectual Property Group of the national law firm of Williams Mullen. There I represented clients in matters of trademark registration, trademark infringement, software licensing, copyright infringement suits and related intellectual property matters.
- At the turn of the millennium, I joined a Williams Mullen client, homebytes.com. Shortly after joining homebytes as its twelfth employee, the company closed its first round of venture capital funding and quickly grew to nearly 150 employees. I was promoted to VP and General Counsel and oversaw a four-person legal team and managed several operational units totaling 60 persons. Homebytes, an online real estate brokerage firm, became the first real estate company to be licensed as a real estate broker in all fifty states. (If you are old enough to remember the dot.com boom, you know that there was a dot.com bust after the boom!)
- In 2006 I and two other attorneys started a law firm focused on real estate and estate and trust-related work. The recession and housing collapse in and around 2008 was a significant blow to that practice and that firm closed four years later in 2010. For the last 8 plus years, I have been in my current practice.
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Virginia Supreme Court
Activities, Professional Associations, and Memberships:
- Virginia Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Member, Goochland County Board of Supervisors (2018-Current)
- Moderator, PRO Manakin-Sabot (business networking group) (2014-2016)
- Member (2012-2014), Virginia State Bar Standing Committee on Technology and the Practice of Law
- Member, Goochland County School Board (2012-2018; Chair 2015, 2018)
- Chair (2013-2016), Blue Ridge Virtual Governor’s School Board
- Member (2012-2014), Virginia School Board Association’s Virtual Learning Task Force
- Virginia Historical Society
- Member, Executive Committee of Young Life – Goochland (2016-2019)